Sunday 17 December 2023

Advent Calendar Day 17



Thomas White and Elizabeth Linkins

Time for a little bit about the next generation back on Dad's maternal side.  First are his mother's parents Thomas White and Elizabeth (Betsy) Linkins.  Doesn't that photo look so out of keeping for a farm labourer; obviously a studio photo but I wondered how long they had to save to have it taken?  Studio photos used to be very important to that generation.  I have a locket for them and that includes the faces cut from another of these photos.

Thomas was born in Egerton, Kent in 1854 and Betsy Linkins, also in 1854, in Wye, Kent.  They married in 1873 in the Congregational Chapel in Ashford.  After that they lived in the villages of Egerton, Boughton Aluph, Hinxhill and Chilham where they both died.

There is a little bit more about them here  

I don't know very much about the parents of Frank Jackson other than gleaned through census and bmd certificates.  I have found no dna matches except through  similar circumstances to Dad and no photos online.  Frank's parents were Robert Jackson and Helen Telfer(Telford).  Robert was a weaver and Helen a silk weaver in Kilbarchan.  There used to be about 900 handloom weavers in the village in the 1800s. The looms were downstairs in the living area, typical cottages had low beamed ceilings.  It appears my ancestors were not in individual cottages but just rooms that they rented in multi-occupied building. Their first born, Robert, in 1856 was born prior to marriage and a paternity decree provided me with the details for this. 

What next in my Calendar?   I have so far looked at my grandparents and my memories of them and places they lived as they are part of my childhood.  I have given a very quick intro to my great grandparents but I never knew any of them, they died before I was born, as had Frank Jackson, my grandfather. 

It must be time for you to read a little bit about my parents over the next couple of days.








No comments:

Post a Comment