Sunday 3 December 2023

Advent Calendar Day 3

 

Salehurst Parish Church

The last family event that I attended at this church was the funeral of my grandmother, Rose Ellen Weston, nee Clark, in August 1991.  She was 99 years old.  Her ashes are in the churchyard.

The church features quite a lot in my family as my great grandfather, Alfred Weston, moved there from Etchingham, between 1888 and 1891.  In the 1891 census the family were living at Redlands Farm, Salehurst and there are still family living in Robertsbridge today.  Robertsbridge is included within the parish of Salehurst.  His ashes are also in the churchyard.

My great uncles, Henry and Percy and my grandfather, Frank, were choristers here and Percy was also the church organist.  My father, Robert White and mother, Jessie Weston, were also in the church choir, as was my mothers sister.  My parents got married here as did her sister and brother in law.

My Dad lived very close to here, in a row of cottages called Church Terrace, see the image below where the cottages are the row on the left, set up from the road by steep steps.  The outside toilet was across the backyard and the path along the back to all the cottages.  Salehurst Church is in the background.

Salehurst in abt 1905





No comments:

Post a Comment